Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Travel for Two?

Good Morning! Well, today will be my first post. 
Yesterday I made this cute travel pouch for my sister-in-law who is moving away.
This project, although it was very easy, was the source of much frustration. My machine kept acting up and I had to call my tech support, (a.k.a my mom) who helped me figure out the problem and move on. This project taught me not only how to sew with thick/bulky fabric, but I also learned more about my machine and how to deal with frustrations. It was a good project!

 
First, I saw this on pintrest via Etsy.com. 
I've been meaning to make it for a while now but didn't have any extra wash cloths/Terrycloths. Then last weekend I found 2 brand new matching cloths at a yard sale for 50 cents! Score! 

This site had no tutorial so I just stared at the picture for a few minutes before beginning, it's pretty easy.

First step: Pick out some (washable) ribbon to make the ties.
(I think it's time for me to get a bigger ribbon box...)


I selected this purple ribbon, it was thicker than I wanted so I ended up sewing it in half.
I cut two 8 inch pieces of ribbon and painted the ends with clear nail polish so it wouldn't fray. Then I put the ribbon aside to let the ends dry.
  

Then I gathered all the supplies I needed: measuring tape, pins scissors, ribbon, the wash cloth...
   

...and sewing machine of course, (all preped with matching thread.).


 Next, pin up the sides vertically leaving about 2 inches for the top of the pouch. (don't fold it completely in half)


 Sew up the sides. This sounds easier than it was, the sides of the cloths are the thickest part so my needle had a hard time making it through the fabric.


 After you sew both sides it should look like this.


Then I put my toothbrush and toothpaste inside the flap and measured the pockets. I made the pockets about 3 3/4 inches wide. At that measurement I made 3 pockets. (on the second travel pouch I made 4 (smaller) pockets, it just depends on how many pockets you want and how big you want them to be).


 Because this is a project that you can't sew inside out I couldn't mark the pockets with a pen or marker, so I marked it with pins, taking them out as I sewed, following in the line of the next pin.


 Sew along the line to form the pockets.


Then it was almost done!


 Then I picked up the ribbons I had cut and painted earlier. Folded the end in half and held it while I sewed. I did one at a time right on top of each other as you can see in the picture.


 Then it was DONE!!


 Fold it up "sleeping bag" style with your toothbrush/toothpaste inside and you're ready to go!




Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these so much! I should make some for us ...
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete